When I first began canning, I had a hard time deciding how I would use the jars of food on my pantry shelves. What was I going to make with them? I have been canning for a while now and it is second nature to me, but I want to show you how easy and quick it is to make a delicious beef vegetable stew using your home canned foods.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a commission should you chose to sign up for a program or make a purchase using my link.
What You Need:
Beef Roast: One quart home canned beef roast
Vegetables: One fresh medium onion and three garlic cloves. One quart of carrots, one pint of corn, one quart of green beans, and one quart of potatoes. One cup of frozen peas (one pint of home canned peas if you enjoy those)
Tomato sauce: One quart of tomato sauce. This thickens the stew and gives an acidic flavor.
Beef broth: One quart of beef broth. Homemade broth or stock is always the way to go. It has so much more flavor. If you use store bought you may need to adjust the seasonings in the stew.
Coconut oil: I buy coconut oil from Azure Standard in gallon size jars. I buy the expeller pressed coconut oil because it is flavorless.
How to Make Beef Vegetable Stew
This is the fastest way to make beef vegetable soup because all of the food is already cooked except for the onion and the minced garlic.
First, cut up the onion and mince the garlic. Toss the onions into the pot on medium high heat and sauté until they are translucent and softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Now it is time to add in all of the other ingredients. Open all of your jars and drain the carrots, potatoes, corn, and green beans. Pour them into the pot.
Add the frozen peas, tomato sauce, beef broth, and beef roast into the pot. Add all of the seasonings. Simmer the soup for about 15 minutes to allow the seasonings to meld and the peas to cook. Adjust the seasonings and serve.
That’s it! Maybe 30 minutes at the most and you have dinner on the table! Enjoy!
Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 7 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Other Post You May Enjoy:
Beef Vegetable Stew
- 1 quart beef roast
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 quart tomato sauce
- 1 quart green beans
- 1 quart potatoes
- 1 pint corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- water, if necessary
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.In a large Dutch oven add 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Add the diced onions and sauté on medium high heat until they are softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- Open the jars of green beans, corn, carrots, and potatoes. Drain off the liquid.Pour the vegetables into the pot.
- Open the beef, beef broth, and tomato sauce. Pour them into the pot. Gently stir all of the ingredients.
- Add 1 tsp parsley, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp thyme, 3 bay leaves, 2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp of black ground pepper. Add the frozen peas.
- Simmer soup for about 15 minutes to let all of the flavors meld together and the peas to cook. Add 1 cup or so of water only if the stew is too thick and needs more liquid.Adjust the seasonings and serve!