If you are looking for a unique soup that taste amazing Spicy Beef and Lentil Soup is a winner! A hearty soup that has healthy ingredients and full of flavor. Come into my kitchen and let’s make spicy beef and lentil soup.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a commission should you chose to sign up for a program or make a purchase using my link.
What You Need:
Dried Lentils: I used brown lentils in this recipe because they hold their shape well in the soup. I buy all my lentils in bulk from Azure Standard.
Ground Beef: As always buy local if you can! Read Local Food Resources to find a farmer.
Beef Broth: I recommend using homemade beef broth because it gives your soup the best flavor and it skips the caramel coloring that most commercial broths use. Learn how to make your own beef broth.
Prep the Lentils
The night before you make this soup, pour one cup of brown lentils into a half gallon jar (or container of your choice), add 1 tbsp. of raw apple cider vinegar with the mother. Fill the remaining space in the jar with cool water.
Put a lid on the jar to keep out debris or insects. Soak the lentils for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Why do you soak the lentils? Soaking the lentils softens the seed coat and decreases the antinutrients in the lentils which in turn makes it easier for you to digest them.
Spicy Beef and Lentil Soup
In a large Dutch oven on medium heat add 2 tbsp coconut oil. Add the diced onions and sauté them until they are translucent and softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly.
Drain the lentils and rinse them off thoroughly to get rid of the vinegar. Pour them into the Dutch oven then add the beef broth, seasonings, and tomato paste. Give everything a good stir to combine everything.
Simmer the soup for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Adjust your seasonings and serve.
Store the Leftovers:
Store in the fridge for up to seven days or freeze for up to three months.
Other Post You May Enjoy:
Spicy Beef and Lentil Soup
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 tsp tsp thyme
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4-1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- In large Dutch oven on medium heat add 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Add the onions and sauté them until they are translucent and softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- Drain the lentils and give them a good rinse to get rid of the vinegar. Add them to the pot.
- Pour in the 8 cups of beef broth, tomato paste, and all of the spices. Stir to combine everything.
- Simmer the soup for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are softened. Adjust your seasonings. It's time to serve. Enjoy!